HEGPS - Our Nature Zone
August 22, 2017, 09:52:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Help keep the Hornby cam broadcasting! See this new topic: http://www.ournaturezone.com/index.php?topic=1649.0

Home   Help Login Register Website Webcam Facebook  
collapse
Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GTLO - Get the Lead Out!  (Read 64461 times)
NancyM
HEGPS
Administrator

United States United States

« Post / Reply #60 on: January 22, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

http://www.thereporter.com/news/ci_22423302/california-condor-found-dead-at-zion-national-park

California condor found dead at Zion National Park; was likely lead poisoning

By the Associated Press
Posted:   01/22/2013 01:01:14 AM PST

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A California condor found dead at Zion National Park is believed to have died from lead poisoning after foraging on a bullet-ridden game carcass, in another setback for the recovery project on the Utah-Arizona border, officials said Monday.

Separately, two condors found dead in northern Arizona in December were confirmed by The Peregrine Fund to have died of lead poisoning. The latest fatality involved a 9-year-old female that had been observed searching nesting cavities together with a mate at Zion, which takes out a breeding pair.

<snip>

Restoring the California condor to much of its historic range across the Southwest has been hampered by dozens of deaths linked to lead from the remnants of hunters' bullet.

About half of the roughly 130 condors released since 1996 along the Arizona-Utah border have died or vanished, wildlife officials say. For birds that have been recovered, lead poisoning turned up as the main cause of death, Parish said.

(full article at link above)
gzebear

« Post / Reply #61 on: March 19, 2014, 12:04:14 AM »

Avian Haven has admitted several lead-poisoned eagles this winter, including two who were dead on arrival from lead poisoning. Our directors, Diane and Marc, were interviewed by the Bangor Daily News in January because of the Golden Eagle who came in with lead exposure. Here is the article and video: http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow/rescuer-says-solution-is-simple-for-preventing-poisoned-birds-maine-sportsmen-should-use-ammunition-without-lead/?ref=relatedBox

There is a place there where one can vote whether Maine should allow lead ammunition. I just looked at it again this morning and lead is winning by quite a margin. nope I'm not sure who can vote on this, but please take a look and if you can, VOTE! Thanks. I would love to see those percentages change places.

boodle317
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #62 on: March 19, 2014, 05:25:16 AM »

I was able to vote gze.  Such a simple solution...and too long in coming.
birdvoyer
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #63 on: March 19, 2014, 06:46:33 AM »

I had voted before I left for work this morning.  It did not ask for any info so an easy thing to do.  I agree, boodle, that it would be an easy solution.  I will have to ask my hunting nephews if they have switched.  pray

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
gzebear

« Post / Reply #64 on: April 07, 2014, 06:26:22 AM »

News clip done at Avian Haven earlier this year, with comments from the Sportsmen's Alliance ...

http://www.wcsh6.com/story/entertainment/television/bill-greens-maine/2014/03/21/avian-haven/2127960/

"If there's anything we can do to help .... but we're not interested in banning lead."

caution: contains footage of an eagle dying from lead poison (and dead)

and following note: the Golden Eagle in the video has been released, the Bald Eagle with the wing droop did not survive

boonibarb
HEGPS

Canada Canada

« Post / Reply #65 on: April 07, 2014, 07:40:22 AM »

What is the hunter*s attachment to lead bullets, does anyone know?

wooohoooo!
boodle317
HEGPS

« Post / Reply #66 on: April 07, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »

I believe it's cost booni.  lead is cheap and withstands high temps...so your gun lasts longer.

I also found this article.  sigh.  might explain some of the mentality

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/16/hunting-industry-fires-back-at-environmental-groups-effort-to-ban-toxic-lead/ 

Most of this article is bunk...ie "wildlife isn't affected"...we all know that isn't true...but how he words it is:  wildlife populations aren't affected.  So the suffering death means nothing.

But...the last paragraph of that article pretty much explains the mentality.  Pretty disgusting when you consider the havoc it wreaks. 
birdvoyer
HEG
Friend of HEGPS

« Post / Reply #67 on: April 07, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »

I had asked my husband why hunters would be opposed to lead shot and he said that alternative material (steel) does not "spread" like lead shot. I said so, what does that mean? He explained that with lead shot, it is less likely to pass thru the target. It "spreads". Also, alternative is light and hard, and it is more difficult to be accurate. sick  zipped

ETA I did find some info here, if anyone cares to look, on lead vs steel http://shotshell.drundel.com/steel.htm

"No one cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
gzebear

« Post / Reply #68 on: April 07, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »

The fact that lead 'spreads' is one of the biggest reasons to stop using it. A lead bullet will fragment upon impact with bone, scattering tiny bits of lead into the tissue. If left in the wild, these tiny fragments are easily ingested by wildlife. If served up at the dinner table, these tiny fragments are easily ingested by children.

We were given a lot of moose meat once to feed to our eagles, as I recall by someone wanting to clean out his freezer to make room for fresh meat. We x-ray any wild game that is given to us. The moose meat contained fragments of lead, which would have killed our eagles. Not only was it unusable, but we had no way to dispose of it. At that point, it was 'toxic waste'. And what a waste. But the hunter was completely unaware that the meat contained lead - he had planned to feed this meat to his family!

Here's a quote I came across recently, and I concur - it is a serious health issue:

"Lead is a HEALTH issue, not a RIGHTS issue. When we can start treating it as such, without all the right-to-bear-arms baggage, we may actually get somewhere."    ~Jen Hajj

gzebear

« Post / Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 03:56:27 PM »

I just watched this video made by Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre in Nova Scotia. It's difficult to watch, but this is exactly what we see in eagles with severe lead poisoning - it's heartbreaking. But I hope it inspires a few more hunters to switch to non-lead ammo.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndk3jxR0xBQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndk3jxR0xBQ</a>
gzebear

« Post / Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 05:46:39 PM »

From Cobequid Rehab Centre ....

"Unfortunately we had to euthanize the lead poisoned bald eagle that we admitted on Monday. His lead levels were the highest we've ever seen, he was exhibiting blindness and was not responding to treatment. Thanks for taking the time to watch our video and know that we will continue with hunter outreach on this issue. Through education we are making positive changes in Nova Scotia and many hunters have already voluntarily switched to non-lead ammo. Education is the key to solving this issue. Please contact us for a presentation on lead poisoning and non-lead hunting."
linused

« Post / Reply #71 on: January 22, 2015, 06:11:14 PM »

Oh Gze,   this is hard to imagine how you deal with this heartbreak.  Keep it talked about and keep raising awareness,    thanks for not letting us forget.
Pages:  1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

* Theme Changer

Forum Default

Permanently